Thursday, April 3, 2008

Finding Fab

So what's with this whole fab thing anyway? Well, I think I appointed FAB as my nickname sometime in the last year or so. There is this whole tongue-in-cheek thing with people around me that I am fabulous. Now, before you stop reading as you think "this woman is an ego maniacal twit" please read on. For me, finding my "fab" is about acknowledging the things that make me who I am, all the quirks, talents and mistakes that this might embody. To take it a step further I would encourage everyone to find their "fab" and to see it in others. It's not about believing that you are better than anyone else but about recognizing how amazing we all are and celebrating it! This does not mean bidding humility farewell, humility is about accepting that none of us are perfect, we may not always get it right, and we can always grow and learn no matter how fab we may be. Humility is not being the most attractive person in the room but denying it, even though everyone knows it to be true. Humility is not playing down your accomplishments and behaving as if "it's nothing special." Being fab isn't about pride either. Being proud of oneself can be wasted energy as much as false humility.



C.S. Lewis wrote about this most eloquently in his book The Screwtape Letters, so to borrow from a fellow fab..."The great thing is to make him(man) value an opinion for some quality other than truth, thus introducing an element of dishonesty and make-believe into the heart of what otherwise threatens to become a virtue. By this method thousands of humans have been brought to think that humility means pretty women trying to believe they are ugly and clever men trying to believe they are fools. And since what they are trying to believe may in some cases, be manifest nonsense, they cannot succeed in believing it and we (devils) have the chance of keeping their minds endlessly revolving on themselves in an effort to achieve the impossible. (God) wants to bring the man to a state of mind in which he could design the best cathedral in the world, and know it to be the best, and rejoice in the fact, without being any more (or less) or otherwise glad at having done it than he would be if it had been done by another."



You see, the thing is we can and should celebrate ourselves and each other. Whatever your spirituality, religion or faith seeing good in yourself and others just can't ever be a bad thing. If we seek out the fab in others as opposed to the bad we may find ourselves happier and making more connections with our fellow human beings! We are all more alike than different and we are all more amazing and good than we often believe. LOOK FOR THE FAB IN EVERYTHING! Before closing, I'll leave you with another favorite quote of mine from Marianne Williamson (this quote was used in the movie Akeelah and the Bee). "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."



With these thoughts I'll close. But before going, remind me sometime to write why I am mad at China, Romania, Wal-Mart and Nike-This will satisfy one of my favorite fabulous people whom we shall call Curly! Satisfied Curly?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your concepts of "acknowledging the things that make me who I am, all the quirks, talents and mistakes that this might embody" and that "we may not always get it right" might be interesting to expand on. I can see how these concepts may be important for people to hear. Also, I think that your blog is terrific. It takes courage to put your ideas and beliefs out there for anyone to read. You really are "fab".

FAB said...

Thanks Curley,
You are also fab! Glad you like the blog! I'll remember you said that.

There'll be plenty of time for me to expand on ideas, the rumblings in my mind are always growing so I'm sure you'll read more about it.

Anonymous said...

I find yor blog to be very well written and intelligently intresting i really hope that people can connect to your ideas on some level. Your words and time are well appreiciated.