Thursday, April 10, 2008

Channeling Freddie

For several days now I have been "channeling" Freddie Mercury. Queen is one of my all time favorite bands and I've been fascinated with Freddie for as long as I can remember. Queen songs have been like the sound track to my life, I swear you can find a song that fits almost every occasion. Anyway, Queen is one of my "go to" Cd's. I have a great fondness of music and it is central to my life, I have music that fits almost every mood and music I choose to produce a specific mood. I've been feeling kind of wacky and stressed lately and when that is the case it's either ABBA or Queen that provides an instant good mood. (I would like to take this moment to thank my parents-some of my fondest memories as a child were set to the music of ABBA, Queen, Elvis, the Shadows etc...there was often music floating through our house). So, I have been listening to Queen and have been singing Queen throughout my days, I have begun to refer to it as "channeling Freddie".

I was channeling Freddie today (actually Freddie and David Bowie), my favorite song is Under Pressure, so I listened to and sang it almost all day. Not only did it lift my mood but I also started thinking about the lyrics.
"love dares you to care for
The people on the edge of the night
And love dares you to change our way of
Caring about ourselves"
I often talk about various issues around the globe (much to the irritation of those around me), and I often wonder why more people aren't concerned about our fellow human beings. I think perhaps thinking about issues across the globe can be overwhelming, so people give up. Maybe we need to think smaller. yesterday I blogged about being helpful, perhaps that's the best place to start.
STEP 1- Look people in the eye, connect with every person as the full human being they are, whether it's the cashier at the grocery store or your own children. Once you feel that connection, you'll be grateful for it. It's an amazing sensation when you come to the realization that we are all somehow connected.
STEP 2-Stop worrying about the little things. Are you really in that much of a hurry that you have to get mad when the cashier takes too long? Is it that important? Try focusing instead on the sunshine or the fact that you are breathing, or that you have people who love you!
STEP 3- Stop thinking about the things you want, i.e. more money, better car, designer purse, boob job. We can't take those with us (except maybe the boob job-is silicone biodegradable?) Instead think about how you can leave the world in a better condition than when you came into it.
STEP 4- Start really listening to people, I mean really listening. Turn off the voice in your head, stop waiting for your turn to talk and pay attention to what people are really saying.
STEP 5-Stop judging fellow man. first of all, that's not your job "judge not lest ye be judged," and "forgive our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us," do we really want God to forgive us the way we forgive others? You can never know another man's heart unless you have walked a mile in his shoes.

That's a good enough place to start for now. Give these steps a shot and I promise, life will look up and you'll actually improve the world around you. Like Freddie said "Turned away from it all like a blind man, Sat on a fence but it don't work," So stop sitting on the fence and turning a blind eye, it doesn't work!

Again in the words of my man...

"Why can't we give love
Give love give love give love give love
Give love give love give love
"

No comments: